Solitary Confinement

As you know, my children would fall into the OVERsocialized category most likely.  My son (9) plays football,basketball,soccer,baseball,swims on a competitive swim team,takes gymnastics, and participates in community service activities.  My daughter (7) swims on a competitive swim team, plays soccer, takes gymnastics and is on a competitive gymnastics and cheer team, takes piano lessons, and participates in community service activities.  I referenced many of these things in another post What Kind Of Race Is This Anyway? The OVERsocialized homeschooler

I think many of us homeschool parents tend to overcompensate for our children’s “lack of normal socialization” in the same way….extra curricular activities.  The one thing I continue to discover, no matter where we go we are always the “odd men out”.  I find that personally I am in great need of fellowship with other homeschoolers, someone who is like me.  There are only around 150 homeschooled children in my entire county, and the truth of the matter is….80 percent of them are weird, weird, weird.  I know, I know, I shouldn’t “dis” people like that, but honestly people, I’m not talking about weird as in “set apart from the world” or “a peculiar people” the way the Bible describes it, I am speaking of truly strange people.  People who really suffer from bunker syndrome and do not function well in society, these are the homeschoolers you hear about.  The “rest of us” out here are so very busy with kids and activities, we rarely have time to get to really know one another or spend time as a group.  I am in desperate need of real fellowship, fellowship with people of like minds, similar interests, and who can encourage me and I them.  Do you ever feel this way?  Don’t lie…you know you do.

I’m writing this post to encourage myself, but maybe it will encourage you as well.  It is directed to homeschoolers, but I find many stay at home moms (or dads) often feel as though they live lives of solitary confinement 90% of all conversations they have are with their children, and the other 10% are about their children.  Here are some scriptures, ones that will help us when we just feel the overwhelming sense of being alone in this big journey we call homeschooling (or parenting).

Joshua 1:1-8

After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ assistant, “Moses my servant is dead. Now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, into the land that I am giving to them, to the people of Israel. Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, just as I promised to Moses. From the wilderness and this Lebanon as far as the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites to the Great Sea toward the going down of the sun shall be your territory. No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you.

I would imagine that after losing Moses, Joshua was very lonely and probably insecure in his abilities to lead these people.  God’s promise to Joshua extends to all of us who follow him through Christ, He will be with us and never leave or forsake us.

Hebrews 13:5 (b)

Never will I leave you, Never will I abandon you

That is a promise to stand on, even when there is no other person there….God is.  When you just need a friend to fellowship with, fellowship with the author of Life, the creator of the heavens and the Earth….who could better understand you?

I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my
servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not
be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my
righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:9‐10

We all look to friends for encouragement, its just a natural thing….but we have a fellowship and a friend in our creator and his words tell us—HE will strengthen, HE will help, HE will uphold us in his righteous hand.  So when you find yourself battling the homeschool (or parenting) blues because you just need a little fellowship, remember that the one who called you out, the one who CHOSE you, is with you and he will fellowship with you and be your comfort.

I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you- John 14:18

There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother-  Proverbs 18:24





Leave a comment

Filed under Homeschooler

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s